Home Depot, the city of Philadelphia and others were named in a recently filed wrongful death lawsuit. The family of a Pennsylvania woman filed the suit after the woman and her great-granddaughter died after smoke alarms throughout her house allegedly did not work as intended. Over $50,000 in damages is being sought in the wrongful death suit.
The woman and her 4-year-old great-granddaughter were upstairs asleep when a fire began in the lower level of the house. The family claims that the ionization smoke detectors throughout the house were not sufficient in their design to detect smoke from a smoldering fire. When the alarms failed to work as intended, neither the woman nor her great-granddaughter was awakened as smoke engulfed the house. The family states that the company that manufactures and markets the smoke detectors, Universal Security Instruments, Inc., knew about the problems associated with the product but continued to distribute it.
To make matters worse, responding firefighters were delayed in putting out the fire because fire hydrants near the house were not working. The firefighters had to go several blocks away to find hydrants that could be used. By the time functioning hydrants were found and the fire could be fought, it was too late to save the woman and the little girl.
When a person dies as a result of negligence on the part of another, a wrongful death lawsuit may be an available legal remedy. The suit is aimed at those believed to be directly or indirectly responsible for the fatality. Pennsylvania residents who have cause may seek assistance for gaining compensation for their loss in such situations.
Source: The Pennsylvania Record, "Family of woman, great-granddaughter who perished in blaze sue makers of faulty smoke detectors", Jon Campisi, April 30, 2014