Blog | April 4, 2019

What Happens If I Slip or Trip and Fall on Someone Else’s Property and Suffer Injuries?

Property owners owe a duty of care to those who are on their property with permission.

This duty is at its highest when you, the visitor, are what’s known as a “business invitee.” A business invitee is someone who the property owner invites onto their property for purposes of business. Imagine going to a grocery store, or a shop, or a mall, with the intention of browsing around and perhaps buying something. Imagine going to a fast food establishment with the same goal. In these circumstances, you are a business invitee, and the law protects you to the highest degree from dangerous conditions on the landowner’s property.

A property owner has the duty to use reasonable care in protecting a business invitee from any and all conditions that present an unreasonable risk of harm, provided that the property owner knows or should have known about those conditions.

If the landowner fails to exercise reasonable care to protect you from the danger and you are injured as a result of that danger, you will very likely be entitled to compensation.

Property owners, landlords, municipalities, elevator companies, mass transit authorities, and utilities can be responsible for injuries on their properties or by the equipment they operate. Each year, people are injured in accidents that occur when premises or equipment are not properly maintained and managed. Injuries can range from burns or broken bones to severe brain and spinal cord damage, or even death.

Cohen, Feeley, Altemose & Rambo represent victims and families of those injured or killed in premises liability lawsuits in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Please call us at 610-490-8877 to speak with an experienced premises liability attorney.

Learn more about our Personal Injury services and how we can help you!

Related Cases We Handle

Related News & Events