Premises Liability Attorneys
Premises Liability Attorneys
When a person is injured on someone else’s property, they may have a premises liability case. A claim can be made for some injuries that occur outside, including:
- Injuries from slip or trip and falls on sidewalks, driveways, or parking lots
- Injuries due to slippery conditions such as grease, ice or snow
- Injuries caused by dangerous conditions created by contractors
- Swimming pool accidents
- Injuries from toxic chemicals and gas explosions
Premises liability claims may also involve injuries that occurred inside, whether within a home, business, or other type of buildings. Causes of this type of premises liability claim include:
- Elevator accidents
- Falls on stairs or on flooring due to missing handrails
- Injuries caused by improper work by contractors
- Slipping on water or debris left on the floor of a grocery store or restaurant
- Injuries caused by a product falling from a shelf in a store
What duty do business and property owners have?
Property and business owners have a duty to use reasonable care to ensure the property is free of any dangerous conditions that may cause a visitor to be injured.
This duty includes:
- Clearing snow and ice
- Properly maintaining the property, sidewalks, and lots
- Safely designing, maintaining, and inspecting interior and exterior of buildings, including elevators, stairs, floors, and walkways
- Properly placing floor mats or taking other steps to avoid slippery conditions
- Regularly inspecting for debris, liquids, or other hazards
- Safely designing and constructing stairs and walkways
- Having adequate lighting
- Complying with building and zoning codes
- Stacking products safely on shelving so that they do not fall on customers
- Using hazard signs warning of slippery or dangerous conditions
- Making sure gas tanks, gas lines and other systems on the property are safe
Failure to meet these duties puts the community at risk.
Who is responsible?
Determining who is responsible for a dangerous condition that caused an injury in a premises liability case can be complex, particularly if the incident happened on commercial property or in a workplace setting. Further complicating matters, multiple parties may be responsible for the condition, including:
- Property owner
- Snow removal contractor
- Business manager
- Cleaning companies
- Maintenance companies
- Contractors working in and outside of buildings
- Corporate owners
- Tank and gas line installers, manufacturers and/or technicians
Compensation may be available for injuries that occur inside or outside of a business or a private residence, in or near apartment buildings, in parking lots, on sidewalks or on the street.
We will investigate all responsible parties and vigorously pursue a claim on the victim’s behalf. We may bring in experts such as engineers, accident reconstructionists, medical, nursing, vocational, and economic experts, to help us evaluate the defendants’ liability and the extent of our client’s injuries and losses.
We Obtain Relief
Over more than five decades of combined experience in personal injury cases, we have won many significant awards and settlements for our clients injured in premises liability cases, including:
Cohen, Feeley, Altemose & Rambo protects victims of premises liability injuries
Many individuals have inadequate health insurance to cover the treatment they need after a premises liability accident or fall. If a business or individual failed to meet their obligation of keeping their property safe, and someone was injured as a result, the injured person should be compensated.
Victims of premises liability injuries may be entitled to compensation for:
- Past and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental distress
- Embarrassment and humiliation
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Physical impairment
- Physical disfigurement
- Spousal losses
- Familial losses resulting from the death of a loved one
Documenting the incident
After being hurt, the victim may be injured, upset, and disorientated. To the extent possible under the circumstances, it helps to take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention.
- Take photos of the scene of the injury.
- Find someone to witness the dangerous condition.
- Get contact information for any witnesses.
- Write down details about the accident and the dangerous condition.
- Look for surveillance cameras and tell the property owner to save the footage.
- Contact an experienced attorney immediately.
Complex cases need experienced attorneys
Cohen, Feeley, Altemose & Rambo has represented clients in premises liability cases for many decades. We are well known to the insurance companies and attorneys on the other side of these cases, and they know we fight for a maximum settlement to compensate the victim for all aspects of their injuries.
Cohen, Feeley, Altemose & Rambo offers free consultations to individuals who have been injured on someone else’s property. We pride ourselves on fighting for each client’s rights, handling each case with dedication and care.
What Our Clients Have To Say
Very professional, made us feel relaxed & comfortable. Treated us with respect and fought hard for what we deserved. Highly recommended!
On the basis of Mark Altemose’s handling of my personal injury case, I give him my highest recommendation. You simply can’t do better. I was involved in a bicycle accident in a section of the road undergoing construction. My case was complicated for many reasons, and because of the strength of the case that Mark established, the insurance company settled for a monetary amount very close to what Mark predicted. A couple of other reasons for recommending Mark: 1) Mark pursued every possible direction to obtain information providing me with the best likelihood of a positive outcome. 2) Mark could recall extensive knowledge of my case without notes, including a better knowledge of my past medical history than I had. I have no doubt he would have been an incredible trial lawyer if the need had arisen. 3) He, in fact, has won awards from his professional associations for his professional accomplishments; and also “gives back” by serving his professional organizations in a variety of official capacities and by mentoring up-and-coming younger lawyers. He clearly is a leader in his field. 4) It was obvious to me that Mark also has the highest ethical standards.
Will Rambo and his paralegal, Jenna Landis, were absolutely wonderful to work with following a car accident. They always kept me up-to-date with the case, and kindly answered my questions. I’m so grateful for all that they’ve done, and I cannot recommend them enough! Hopefully I won’t be needing their services in the future, but if I do I know I’ll be choosing them to represent me again.